How it Works
Cascade collects all network flow data (NetFlow, sFlow, cflow, and IPFIX) provided by most routers and switches. All devices transmitting any traffic over the network are included in the discovery. Cascade augments that record with layer 7 application data, user identification, network performance metrics and application response data to build a sophisticated model of normal activity.
The appliance can be deployed to discover configuration items in a subset of the network or comprehensively across the entire enterprise. In either case, managers will have a fully populated CI inventory and dependency information within hours.
Because you can create groupings based on logical business categories, Cascade presents a complex infrastructure and its various risks in a business context. Technicians can identify performance, availability and security issues before they disrupt business services using pre-defined and customized behavioral analytics.
Cascade’s complete accurate usage and dependency data provide the basis for making the right optimization and change management decisions. Unlike other systems, Cascade builds a baseline that is:
- Multi-dimensional – contains a broad range of details about the interactions between network interfaces, computing systems, applications, and services
- Business-cycle aware – understands “typical” activity differs depending on time of day, day of week, week in quarter, etc.
- Dynamic – based on a learning model that automatically adjusts as the organization evolves
Cascade continuously analyzes network activity to identify and alert technicians to meaningful changes from the norm. These can signify availability, performance, or security issues. The alerts are valuable because they:
- Employ highly sophisticated analytics to reduce alert “noise” and enable human monitors to focus on meaningful change.
- Allow tuning for both high and low delta ranges from the base-line to adjust thresholds beyond which managers want to be notified.
- Equally support infrastructures that have predictable and unpredictable traffic patterns by recognizing cycles that administrators can anticipate and affect.
- Can be applied uniquely to different interfaces, computing systems and applications to prioritize based on impact to business services.
- Provide the ability to right-click items for detail drill-down; this enables navigation through contextual details to establish probable cause and analyze business impact.
Riverbed Cascade also provides an extensive set of application integrations. It can interoperate intelligently with other systems, allowing organizations to increase the value of software investments and improve workflow. Cascade's passive, agent-less deployment permits fast implementation.Ask Questions or Schedule a Riverbed Demo